Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Comcast web support only for IE users; ignores 20% of users using Firefox, other browsers

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 11:14:30 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jubal Kessler <jubal () cheeze org>
Date: November 19, 2008 10:44:48 AM EST
To: "Livingood, Jason" <Jason_Livingood () cable comcast com>
Cc: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Comcast web support only for IE users; ignores 20% of users using Firefox, other browsers

On Nov 19, 2008, at 9:26 AM EST, Jason Livingood wrote:

Apparently Comcast is only interested in supporting IE users,
and doesnt  care about the 20% of the market that uses
Firefox, and other browsers.

I would not at all characterize this as a lack of concern for customer
needs.  Rather, this is more likely a reasoned judgement on how to
invest scarce development resources based on browser market share [...]

Jason,

Speaking as one with experience developing websites at many levels,
targeting a single platform (Windows) and a single browser (IE) is
not one I'd characterize as a reasoned _corporate_ judgement, given
twenty percent of Comcast's customer base is potentially given to
understand that they're second-class.

It's hard to change development direction in a large corporation.
My hopes are that Comcast will adopt a more nimble and forward-thinking
policy -- namely that the Web is its own strong platform, with clear
and safely degradable standards, and it's OK to target that platform. :-)

Good luck,

Jubal Kessler