Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Music industry proposes a piracy surcharge on ISPs

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 16:26:37 -0700

From: Brett Glass [brett () lariat net]
Sent: Monday, March 17, 2008 6:38 PM
To: David P. Reed
Cc: Richard Bennett; David Farber; ip; Gordon Peterson; scott () bluespike com; Rbohn () ucsd edu; griffin () onehouse
com; Kenneth_Mayer () Dell com; vxm () miglia com
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:     Music industry proposes a piracy surcharge on ISPs

At 08:49 AM 3/17/2008, David P. Reed wrote:

Tom Paine, Tom Jefferson, Ben Franklin, and other American
revolutionaries would roll over in their graves.

They might well do so. They drafted a Constitution that
prohibited the taking of property without compensation.
The length and artfulness of your argument, Brett, that network
neutrality would amount to taking of property stretches the legal
understanding of property beyond all reasonable bounds.

My network is property. Period. A taking of my network and its
resources without compensation is unconstitutional. And I'm not the
only one who has made that argument. Comcast and other providers
are already preparing to sue if the FCC attempts to appropriate our
bandwidth for P2P -- which, ironically, is overwhelmingly used for
criminal activity.

--Brett Glass