Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Music industry proposes a piracy surcharge on ISPs

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 04:05:53 -0700

From: Daniel Weitzner [djweitzner () csail mit edu]
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2008 12:07 AM
To: David Farber
Cc: ip
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:    Music industry proposes a piracy surcharge on ISPs

This is a significant overstatement of what it means to have private
property under the rule of law and goes far beyond what any court in
the United States has ever recognized as a 'taking' under the Fifth
Amendment. Yes, network operators own their networks, but the terms
under which they use their property is subject to reasonable
regulation. I'm the first to admit that the question of what is
'reasonable' is not simple. However, the exaggeration inherent in
Brett's argument is evident if you apply the same view to the real
estate. Property owners can do what they want with their property but
are subject to zoning rules, equal opportunity sales requirements,
environmental and land use rules, etc. These are all well-recognized
limits on private property. Whether or not the Founders would roll
over in their private graves, I can't say, but even the most strident
originalist on the Supreme Court is long past this absolutist view of
property.

A takeover of all ISPs by the Commerce Department without just
compensation (I won't mention the NSA) is unconstitutional, but
regulating their operation is not.

Danny