Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Music industry proposes a piracy surcharge on ISPs

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 11:06:34 -0700

From: Gordon Peterson [gep2 () terabites com]
Sent: Friday, March 14, 2008 1:31 PM
To: David Farber
Subject: Re: [IP] Music industry proposes a piracy surcharge on ISPs

I agree fully with Dave on this one.

First off, the reason a lot of us have stopped buying conventionally
distributed CDs is simply because I have lost interest in the kind of
garbage music that is normally found on them nowadays.

A side aspect of that is that I'm tired of paying $15-20 for a CD and
having the performers and composers make a few cents, at most.  I'd be
far happier if a fairer amount actually DID go to the performers (you
remember, the ones that the recording companies keep bringing forward
into the spotlights as the ones getting cheated by piracy... never
mentioning that the financially GREATEST abuses against performers and
composers is that abuse suffered by them at the hands of the record
companies themselves), or the composers, or the musicians.  Instead, the
money is going mostly to the record companies.

I've pretty much stopped listening to radio stations that play music.
Instead, I'm listening to talk radio, or NPR, or (most often) streamed
talk radio (Nova R Radio, or Air America Radio) across the Internet.  As
a result, I don't really get exposed to "new music" (such as there is of
it, anymore... so much of it is just crap anyway).  I spend my time on
the Net reading mail, getting news and current events, socializing in
affinity groups, political activism, and other such activities.  I don't
watch television much anymore either, and what music I -do- listen to is
from my existing (legally purchased, or converted from my legally
purchased LPs) CD collection.

I do (very) occasionally add CDs to my collection, but the GREAT
majority of those that I buy in recent years are purchased DIRECTLY from
the performers (musicians, standup comedians, etc) at their live
performances.  (Many of these CDs are privately produced, and sometimes
hand-produced in small quantities by the musicians themselves.)  At
least this way, I can feel confident that the performers whose talents I
appreciate are getting a reasonable percentage of the sale price.

Another reason I have pretty much stopped buying commercial CDs is
because I have been outraged by the BS that the commercial companies
have committed regarding worms and other such malicious software they
have surrepetitiously added to commercial releases.

It's also worth remembering that these same greedy recording companies
already charge a "surcharge" against companies producing blank CDs for
the recording of music.  Supposedly, this already was to compensate the
recording companies for "piracy".

I object in the STRONGEST POSSIBLE TERMS against these abusive recording
companies trying to FORCE me to pay for their products that *I DO NOT WANT*.

David Farber wrote:
Personally this is BULL-SH_t.   Dave

--

Gordon Peterson II