Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: The terrible, no good, rotten, horrible, really bad Web site list ( YES YES djf)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 06:38:17 -0700

From: Brock N Meeks [bmeeks () cox net]
Sent: Friday, June 13, 2008 9:35 AM
To: David Farber
Cc: ip
Subject: Re: [IP] The terrible, no good, rotten, horrible, really bad Web site list ( YES YES djf)

This has been a wonderful discussion; however, I would be remiss if I
didn't point out that this is an issue that never was.  Confused?  I
think we all were.

The NY Times story turns out to be wrong on the crucial web site
blocking fact.  Blocking of web sites was never on the table; none of
the ISP's mentioned in the piece ever agreed to such action, nor, as I
understand it (now) was it ever a proposal.  The NYT was just flat
wrong.

As it turns out, Declan was the only reporter (that I am aware of)
that actually got the story correct.

All that said, I found it refreshing that even the hint of such an
action on the part of ISPs brought swift rebuke from many people.