Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: The terrible, no good, rotten, horrible, really bad Web site list ( YES YES djf)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 16:45:20 -0700

From: Karl Auerbach [karl () cavebear com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 7:22 PM
To: David Farber
Cc: bmeeks () cox net
Subject: Re: [IP] The terrible, no good, rotten, horrible, really bad Web site list ( YES YES djf)

David Farber wrote:
From: Brock N Meeks [bmeeks () cox net]

First, I want to know who anointed the National Center for Missing and
Exploited Children as judge and jury of what constitutes a child porn
Web site?

Welcome to the 21st Century world of private governance - plenary power
in private hands: No oversight, no review, and often exempt from taxes
and anti-trust laws.  It is a natural step from the Reagan/Thatcher
belief that the powers of government are best exercised without public
oversight by private actors.

This National Center for Missing and Exploited Children is one example,
Blackwater is another.

One of the reasons that I rail so much about ICANN is that it is also
one of these things that have power of government exercised via a
private body.

The big fights in western Europe and N. America of the latter 18th and
early 19th centuries were concerned with redressing and constraining
outrageous abuses of national power - one of the most extreme examples
being the France of Louis XIV.

Unfortunately we are not advancing.  Instead we are going retrograde.
We are abandoning the idea bodies of limited government exercising
limited powers that are derived from the citizenry.  We seem to be
moving back to an era more suggestive of feudal powers vested in
corporate dukes and NGO nobles.

We are in an era in which power is being concentrated rather than
diffused.  And that concentration is occurring with the greatest
rapidity into bodies that are the least accountable to the public.

And this acceptance of concentration is slopping over into other areas.
  For instance it really bothers me that not one of the US Presidential
candidates as repudiated Pres. Bush's "unitary executive" grab for
neo-royal power.

                --karl--