Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: A Sinking Feeling Down in San Antone?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 15:06:37 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "vijay gill" <vgill () vijaygill com>
Date: September 17, 2007 2:36:06 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] A Sinking Feeling Down in San Antone?

Begin forwarded message:

From: dewayne () warpspeed com (Dewayne Hendricks)
Date: September 6, 2007 8:35:19 AM EDT
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List < xyzzy () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] A Sinking Feeling Down in San Antone?

Hello, Wifi -- When the iPhone launched, Steve Jobs made a good show
of talking up the merits of Ma Bell and its network. But today's
wireless download services work only with WiFi, not with AT&T's or
any other cellular carriers network. Jobs even went out of his way
during his presentation to point out that WiFi is not only faster
than the 2.5G network iPhone users now get from AT&T, but faster than
3G networks as well. Now, spin things forward to a future of
ubiquitous WiMax connectivity, delivered in large part courtesy of
Apple's friends at Intel. If that day ever arrives, is there any
doubt where Apple will focus its efforts?

I think my head is going to explode. WiMAX ubiquitous? Can some of these ubiquitous wimax champions actually lay out a business plan that shows how this is to be done? Anyone? If someone does stand something up, they will be exactly in the very same boat as the carriers - namely the capital and op expense of standing this sort of ubiquitous network is non trivial and then figuring out a way how to recover that expense. I would love to see a business plan and not just a handwaving number based on the "silicon economics" and cheap hardware - bonus points for throwing in mesh somewhere. I want to see coverage maps, tower negotiations, I want to see backhaul, I want to see cost of transit, I want to see people, depreciation and MRCs for colocation in it.

There is a reason why folks haven't done something like this - namely it is expensive and HARD to do.

/vijay

The iPod touch -- It's a compelling product in many ways--but the
most obvious target market are folks who would love to have an iPhone
but just don't want the phone part. That means there will be some
people that might have switched to AT&T to get an iPhone, anyway--but
now don't have to.

[snip]