Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: AOL/Microsoft-Hotmail Preventing Delivery of Truthout As I said I present all sides djf

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 13:57:02 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David Ian Hopper" <imhopper () gmail com>
Date: September 16, 2007 11:07:16 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: AOL/Microsoft-Hotmail Preventing Delivery of Truthout As I said I present all sides djf

Mr. Melloy just confirmed his belief that AOL is restricting the mail
it sends to its customers because of political/partisan beliefs.  That
was probably counterproductive. If you want to be helpful, at least
claim that Truthout "hates America" or "empowers the evil-doers!"
(And not the kind of post I'd expect on IP, either.)

Seriously, though, AOL demographics may indeed skew to the right, but
I doubt it's so much as to make this an actual response to customer
requests.  Can't imagine why Microsoft's doing it -- Hotmail really
cuts across all types.  I can't recall any instance of Microsoft doing
something purely motivated by politics, and not money or market share.
 Though I have no evidence of it, I'd say it's more likely, that
Truthout was a little too aggressive with its mailings.