Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Apple embeds email address in DRM-free downloads

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 08:45:55 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: max <max () do4d com>
Date: June 4, 2007 4:36:17 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Apple embeds email address in DRM-free downloads

more on apple drm-free music from EFF:

they ran tests on the same track bought by two different customers. one of them is 360 k larger than the other. to explain the difference they reckon "it may be that large amounts of iTunes library data are present in each file. It's also possible that Apple has found a way to watermark the AAC encoding itself, such that users would need to either crack the watermark or transcode the audio signal in order to produce a file that does not identify them as the source."

"Apple's DRM-Free AAC Files Contain More Than Just Names and Email Addresses"
http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/005282.php

max

Begin forwarded message: