Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Apple embeds email address in DRM-free downloads

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 09:23:57 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Victor Marks <victormarks () gmail com>
Date: June 1, 2007 9:20:10 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Apple embeds email address in DRM-free downloads

Hi Dave, for ip if you wish.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Joe Touch <touch () isi edu>
Date: May 31, 2007 11:06:22 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net

While you can create a bogus billing name, your AppleID is tied to your credit card info. Apple won't issue an AppleID without a valid credit card.

Not wholly true:

You can sign up for a 60-day free trial of .Mac which will generate an AppleID without a credit card. Similarly, if you go to jobs.apple.com, you can register an AppleID without a credit card.

I do not know if iTunes will let you use an AppleID absent a payment method of some form: but I do know that you can use it with a giftcard rather than a CC.