Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Apple embeds email address in DRM-free downloads

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 09:00:59 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Joe Touch <touch () isi edu>
Date: May 31, 2007 11:06:22 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Apple embeds email address in DRM-free downloads

FWIW, email is NOT embedded (ARS Technica never said email was, BTW);
your AppleID and billing name are.

Results of two tests are shown below.

Conclusion: your AppleID is tied to the song; the song won't play
without it.

While you can create a bogus billing name, your AppleID is tied to your
credit card info. Apple won't issue an AppleID without a valid credit card.

So, AFAICT, "iTunes Plus" is *not* DRM free. They're managing digital
rights if they force the tag to remain in the song, IMO.

Joe

---------

TEST 2: "Free song of the week", under "iTunes Plus" (DRM free)

I tested:
        - downloading the "free song of the week" (DRM free)

I found:
        - my AppleID
        - my name (as part of my billing address under my account)

I did not find any other information associated with my account, e.g., I
did NOT find:
        - my email address
        - my street, city, state, or zip code
        - my phone number

When I zeroed out the AppleID and name above, the song would no longer
play - iTunes was happy trying, but acted like the file was corrupt, and
played only a half a second or so.

Conclusion: "free song of the week" is not DRM-free

-----------------

TEST 2: "Free song of the week", not under "iTunes Plus" (not DRM free)

I tested:
        - downloading the "free song of the week" (not DRM free)
                NB: there is no indication that this is DRM-free

I found:
        - my AppleID
        - my name (as part of my billing address under my account)

I did not find any other information associated with my account, e.g., I
did NOT find:
        - my email address
        - my street, city, state, or zip code
        - my phone number

When I zeroed out the AppleID and name above, the song would no longer
play - iTunes reported that I needed to authorize my computer to play
songs owned by the blanked-out ID.

Conclusion: the non-DRM "free song of the week" not DRM-free
(to be fair, they never assert that it would be)

----

Begin forwarded message: