Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: U.S. colleges retool programming classes

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 14:35:22 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Andrew W. Donoho" <awd () DDG com>
Date: June 4, 2007 11:19:21 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: U.S. colleges retool programming classes

For IP, if you wish:

On Jun 4, 2007, at 07:36, Gene Spafford <spaf () cerias purdue edu> wrote:

And as to why we want more computer scientists -- I am looking forward to the new languages, running on new operating systems, using new network protocols, and supporting amazing new apps that have not yet been invented. Some of those may be crafted by hobbyists, but the majority will be designed, tested and built by CS grads. If you think Windows and C++ are the pinnacle of human achievement, then I guess computer science isn't going to have much appeal. But dang, you sure are going to need those debugging and version control skills!!

Gene touches on two issues that I think need more examination - scientific invention versus field stagnation.

It is very clear that the software industry is going to hit a programming wall some time in the next 6 years (4 Moore's Law generations). Microprocessors are going to progress from 4 to 64 processor cores. Most algorithms, other than the embarrassingly parallel ones, will hit this wall. This wall is not going to be surmounted by 'code monkeys'. To truly exploit this coming surfeit of processors, we will need both architectural and software invention. This problem will need 'classically trained' disciplined thinkers. While I was not trained as a computer scientist (experimental physics was my field), the problem is going to need folks of the caliber that originally defined our core architectures. (The next Johnny Von Neumann, I'm looking for you.) In other words, we are entering an era of unprecedented architectural research and invention opportunity.

Yet there is a risk, which brings me to my second point.

Business.

Business, due to the needs to support a product in the field, is quite conservative. Furthermore, when you have market dominating businesses such as both Intel and Microsoft, choosing solutions outside of their very narrow band of options does not make economic sense to most customers. (Full disclosure, I work for a competitor to both Intel and Microsoft.) In many ways, due to these economic pressures, computer science has been transformed, in the public/ business mind, into a 'trade school'. In physics, I used the 'english major' defense when asked about why I studied physics instead of something 'more practical'. (I.e. that physics was the 'liberal arts' of the scientific disciplines. It would take me through many career changes. And so it has.) CS majors are not allowed this answer. It is presumed that CS is feeding into a lucrative industry. Hence, students are not challenged to really think about why they are in the program. And pressures on faculty/departments from Regents/Trustees reinforce this 'CS BS mill' for industry perspective. Hence, I welcome the spilt in the field into CS and Computer/Software Engineering. While both are far from being trade schools, they serve different societal goals. Our society needs the CS equivalent of a rich theoretical/experimental scientific duality. This interplay will bring us the next profound advances. Computer/software practitioners, as opposed to scientists, should enter the necessary, honored and lucrative profession of engineering.

If we can make this split, then we have the tougher problem of getting fundamental research funded. In my day job, I am helping frame our development/research agenda for many-core computing. Recently, an RFP came out from industry for $2 million/year for 5 years to study the many-core programming problem. More than 25 schools applied for 1 grant. While there are more funding sources than this one grant, I think it speaks volumes about how much hunger there is in the academy to tackle tough problems and how little funding. (Note to the 24 schools who miss out on this grant, call me.)

I am not referring to the perennial problem of funding research but, rather, funding the attack on the 'big problem'. Dave Patterson has identified the 'big problem' of many-core computing. I think the research community needs to really coalesce around this problem to both retool itself and create the CS research agenda for the next 20 years. This should be the equivalent to the CS community as was building Fermilab or the Large Hadron Collider was to the particle physics community. Attacking this problem will, I think, cause the split between computer science and engineering to really form. And it will open a new world of computing for all of us.

Andrew

Andrew W. Donoho
awd () DDG com, PGP Key ID: 0x81D0F250
+1 (512) 453-6652 (o), +1 (512) 750-7596 (m)

"To take no detours from the high road of reason and social responsibility."
    -- Marcus Aurelius

Physicists can muster huge resources to fund Fermilab, Brookhaven, etc. for the big problems of physics.