Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Skype protocol cracked?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 08:53:18 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Irwin Lazar <imlazar () gmail com>
Date: July 14, 2006 11:45:06 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Skype protocol cracked?

FYI: Skype's official comment (via Tom Keating's Blog -
http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keating/skype/skype-cracked.asp):

Skype has responded with this statement, "Skype is aware of the claim
made by a small group of Chinese engineers that they have reverse
engineered Skype software. We have no evidence to suggest that this is
true. Even if it was possible to do this, the software code would lack
the feature set and reliability of Skype which is enjoyed by over 100m
users today. Moreover, no amount of reverse engineering would threaten
Skype's cryptographic security or integrity."

Over at Skype Journal they have a list of 5 reasons why this is good
news for Skype:
http://www.skypejournal.com/blog/archives/ 2006/07/5_reasons_the_skype_crack_is_good_for_sk.php

Irwin