Interesting People mailing list archives

more on "Strong" AI to be here within 25 years

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 10:35:38 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Tom Fairlie <tfairlie () frontiernet net>
Date: July 15, 2006 12:00:22 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: mac () wireless com, pollack () cs brandeis edu, TClaburn () cmp com
Subject: Re: [IP] more on "Strong" AI to be here within 25 years

Dave,

Isn't there some sort of monumental irony in this prediction?

Computer Science, the only branch of science that I'm aware
of that, in terms of is practical application, fails to build significantly
upon its past accomplishments, is now re-predicting that the AI
prediction from 20 years ago will now instead occur approximately
25 years in our future. All I can say is: Wow!

Is it possible to short-sell AI stocks with 300-month put contracts?

The movie AI might be more plausible.

Although I enjoy hearing Kurzweil, I think I'd rather have a beer
with Douglas Lenat right now instead.

Tom Fairlie