Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Email Scammers Try New Bait in 'Vishing' For Fresh Victims

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 17:12:46 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Peter Capek <capek () ieee org>
Date: July 31, 2006 4:27:44 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Email Scammers Try New Bait in 'Vishing' For Fresh Victims

David Dolotta said:

         I wonder how they got hold of the SBB&T customer list?"

And Ted said:

Now that's a good question.  Anyone know the answer?

Why do you assume anyone did hold of a real customer list?  Admittedly,
these days, it doesn't seem all that unlikely. But even more likely is that "they" sent their vishing mail to every e-mail address they could find, and it resonated with people who are customers. I get 2-3 of these every day, and only 1 in (perhaps) 20 or fewer is seemingly from an institution that I do
business with.

           Peter Capek