Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Email Scammers Try New Bait in 'Vishing' For Fresh Victims

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 18:53:59 -0400

yup!!!!!!

Begin forwarded message:

From: Matt Murray <mattm () optonline net>
Date: July 31, 2006 6:04:21 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, Ted () Dolotta ORG
Cc: capek () ieee org
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Email Scammers Try New Bait in 'Vishing' For Fresh Victims

Dear Ted, Peter and Prof. Farber,

Random, dumb luck. Spam enough people and someone will have an account with them.

Matt Murray

Mobile 203.856.3703
MattM () optonline net
www.mattmurray.org
The Higgins Group/Christie's Great Estates
www.higginsgroup.com
203.221.4600

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>
From: Ted Dolotta <Ted () Dolotta ORG>
Date: July 31, 2006 4:02:13 PM EDT

I forwarded this to my son David who lives in Santa Barbara.  Here
is his answer:

        "I actually got one of these e-mails because we have our
        mortgage with SBB&T.  At first, I thought it was real
  because it was in the 805 area code (Santa Barbara).

        I called and it asked for an account number.  I didn't
        give it, wanting to talk to someone.  Since I didn't
        enter anything, the thing hung up on me.  I was going to
        call the *real* SBB&T number, but decided it was a hoax
        and I wasn't going to waste my time.

        I wonder how they got hold of the SBB&T customer list?"

Now that's a good question.  Anyone know the answer?

Ted Dolotta