Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Email Scammers Try New Bait in 'Vishing' For Fresh Victims

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 18:53:29 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Lyon <jelyon () jelyon com>
Date: July 31, 2006 6:01:07 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Email Scammers Try New Bait in 'Vishing' For Fresh Victims

Comment For IP if appropriate

On 7/31/06 4:12 PM, "David Farber" <dave () farber net> either wrote, forwarded
or quoted:

Why do you assume anyone did hold of a real customer list? Admittedly, these days, it doesn't seem all that unlikely. But even more likely is that "they" sent their vishing mail to every e-mail address they could find, and
it resonated with people who are customers.

On the other hand, I get spam on an SBCGlobal address that has not been
given out to anyone, for any purpose, and would be exceedingly difficult to
guess or make up.

Either spammers are using huge dictionaries drawn from every imaginable
source to generate e-mail addresses, or some spammer got a hold of our
SBCGlobal address somehow.

--
John Lyon | Austin TX
CD 10 | HD 50 | Precinct 259