Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Subpoena for 1 million random web searches

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 07:17:09 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: January 21, 2006 12:30:38 AM EST
To: Seth Finkelstein <sethf () sethf com>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Subpoena for 1 million random web searches

But again, I could be wrong. I'm aware I'm hardly a
politics expert.

Seth,

Politics is entwined into nearly everything these days.  This case is
intensely political, as is -- for example -- the "War on Terror."
And the rules of the game -- used by both sides when politics are
involved, are considerably different than in the "purer" world
of technology and "logical thinking."

        They've gone down to "a random sampling of one million search
queries submitted to www.google.com on a given day".
        That's on page 14 of:
http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/blog/pdf/ Google_McElvainDeclaration.pdf

That page (pdf 14) is a Google response from Oct 10.  But take a
look at pdf page 20 from Dec 23.  The government is again discussing
each search string for a full week.  My interpretation of this
(which appears to mesh with FindLaw's) is that the government had been
negotiating a different requirement, but since those negotiations
have failed the actual motion that they have gone to court to enforce
includes the "each search string for one week" requirement.

The FindLaw version (the actual Jan 18 06 motion, apparently) is:

http://news.findlaw.com/nytimes/docs/google/gonzgoog11806m.html

and appears to include the full week requirement (see page 4 of 13).

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () vortex com or lauren () pfir org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
   - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, IOIC
   - International Open Internet Coalition - http://www.ioic.net
Moderator, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
DayThink: http://daythink.vortex.com