Interesting People mailing list archives

more on IPv6 Forum chief: the new Internet is ready for consumption

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 14:37:23 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Joab Jackson <jjackson () postnewsweektech com>
Date: November 28, 2005 1:56:02 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] more on IPv6 Forum chief: the new Internet is ready for consumption

The idea of having 250 separate devices in my home sitting on the open

Internet makes me shudder - this would be a security nightmare!

        The issue of the draining effect NAT has on IPv6 used to be
quite the hot button issue for the IETF. It raises some interesting
questions about the viability of an end-to-end Internet and even about
the IETF itself. I covered this awhile back for NewsForge:

And NAT may also be providing an additional useful function to the
Internet at large beyond just saving IP addresses. It also keeps
security-oblivious users, those services by broadband providers and
ISPs, tucked behind a gateway. Widespread NAT use by Internet service
providers raise the question--does everybody actually need their own
Internet address? Will Internet service providers even let Joe Sixpack
have his own IP address?

http://www.newsforge.com/technology/04/01/26/1512214.shtml?tid=115&tid=1
18

----