Interesting People mailing list archives

more on IPv6 Forum chief: the new Internet is ready for consumption

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 18:04:19 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Andrew W. Donoho" <awd () DDG com>
Date: November 28, 2005 5:10:33 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on IPv6 Forum chief: the new Internet is ready for consumption

For IP:

From: Joab Jackson <jjackson () postnewsweektech com>
Date: November 28, 2005 1:56:02 PM EST
To: dave () farber net

The idea of having 250 separate devices in my home sitting on the open

Internet makes me shudder - this would be a security nightmare!

        The issue of the draining effect NAT has on IPv6 used to be
quite the hot button issue for the IETF. It raises some interesting
questions about the viability of an end-to-end Internet and even about
the IETF itself. I covered this awhile back for NewsForge:

The debate about NAT obscures the real issue - that there are legitimate reasons to assert policies for net access at organizational boundaries. Yes, we want the internet architecture to be end to end. Yet, we also want to keep interlopers out of our houses and businesses. I am about to start experimenting with IPv6 tunneled through IPv4. Even though I won't need NAT, I will keep the firewall rules in place. I am setting a policy at the boundary to my house.

There is also the enumeration problem. An open end to end IPv6 network is ripe for other exploits. Do we want people to be able to probe my home network to find out that I have a fancy new plasma TV? Or worse, the terrorist/war scenario where 10,000 plus smart ovens are simultaneously set to repeatedly "clean" themselves until they either crash the power grid or burn up the homes of many people when the insulation fails?

Andrew

Andrew W. Donoho
awd () DDG com, PGP Key ID: 0x81D0F250
+1 (512) 453-6652 (o), +1 (512) 750-7596 (m)

"To take no detours from the high road of reason and social responsibility."
    -- Marcus Aurelius