Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Religious leaders warn of Apple Computer's "Satanic"daemon, Darwin t...

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 05:37:17 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: "EEkid () aol com" <EEkid () aol com>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 17:13:41 -0500 (EST)
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Religious leaders warn of Apple Computer's
"Satanic"daemon, Darwin t...

Use as you see fit.

Mr. Farber,

Funny 4/1 story.

The following isn't a 4/1 story.
Believe it or not such thinking isn't that far fetched.  My wife manages a
bank and during the last 4 months has had an increasingly bizarre series of
complaints from her customers.

1) The most common complaint is that her bank has a TV monitor which
displays CNN.  Many of her customers insist CNN is anti-American,
anti-Christian and spreads lies, they demand that she "turn the channel to
Fox".  It's a satellite feed so the broadcast is fixed.

2) She had several complaints because of St Patrick's day decorations.  She
combined St Patrick's day decorations with a promotion for loans.  The
decorations showed a rainbow with a pot of gold at one end.  The sign said
something to the effect "Find your pot of gold with a low interest auto
loan".   Well, she had customers complaining that she displayed a rainbow
and they demanded to know why her bank was supporting gay rights.

3) She had a customer last week complain that her signs promoting IRA's was
offensive to the Irish because IRA stands for "Irish Republican Army".  My
wife politely explained that she is Irish and that she certainly doesn't
find it offensive.  She added that in her bank, IRA stands for "Individual
Retirement Account".

I could go on but I'm sure you get the point.

Jerry Ballman

In a message dated 4/1/2005 4:41:22 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,