Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Religious leaders warn of Apple Computer's "Satanic"daemon, Darwin t...

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 16:03:06 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Bob Frankston <Bob2-19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 11:59:07 -0500
To: <dave () farber net>, 'Ip' <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: RE: [IP] more on Religious leaders warn of Apple Computer's
"Satanic"daemon, Darwin t...

At the risk of stepping back and seeing common themes Š

What is worrisome is not whether the original was true or not but that the
memes take on a life of their own among those ready to believe it. It¹s one
reason why I try to be careful and avoid my normal ambiguous humor when
writing for larger audiences.

It¹s worth reading George Lakoff¹s Moral Politics for an understanding of
conceptual frameworks though not necessarily the specific ones he cites. I
do see a parallel between interpreting symbols in place of reality checking
in other arenas. Why fund science when all we want are the benefits of good
technologies and why protect an environment which obviously exists only for
our exploitation.

Another reminder that ³evolution² is not so much the issue in its own right
as a symbol of this flashpoint. Yes, I know, I¹m using a symbol here but how
do we distinguish unless people have an education in critical thinking and
both the benefits and limitations of logical in our complex reality. The
best we can do is check our theories against reality on a regular basis ­
it¹s called science.

If only I could escape ambiguity and if only ¼ (pi) were 3.0.

------ End of Forwarded Message