Interesting People mailing list archives

more on "somebody is spoofing "from dave () farber net"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2004 08:42:29 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: James M Galvin <galvin () elistx com>
Date: August 7, 2004 10:21:40 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] somebody is spoofing "from dave () farber net"

For IP if you wish.  (It's your data.)

Just to put the "couple a day" in perspective, here are some statistics
related to the operation of the domain "farber.net".

Now I'm sure there are others with similar statistics, perhaps even
worse, but the "farber.net" domain has exactly 8 valid email addresses:
5 for people and 3 operational.

On average, 800 messages per day come to "other" email addresses.

On average, 500 viruses per day are sent to Dave (trapped by the virus
filter).

On average, 600 messages per day are flagged as spam by a "standard"
Spamassassin configuration.

There are occasional nasty peaks, like last February when the domain was
getting backscatter in the millions.

Dave's farber.net domain has been around a long time.  It is, shall we
say, "pretty popular."  Same for his email address: "dave () farber net".
I can not even imagine how many addressbooks that appears in.

It's a fore gone conclusion that Dave's domain and email address are
forged.  Not only do you have to be careful about email from unknown
originators, you have to be careful about email from people you know!

Jim
(host to Dave's farber.net domain)