Interesting People mailing list archives

cure for query re Apple Power Mac G4 Miror Door

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2004 11:07:58 -0400

Worked like a charm. Thanks to the many who suggested cures

Dave

Begin forwarded message:

From: Gene Spafford <spaf () cerias purdue edu>
Date: August 7, 2004 6:48:21 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] query re Apple Power Mac G4 Miror Door

At 6:32 PM -0400 8/7/04, David Farber wrote:
I had a power failure in the house and now the tower will not start. When I push the front power button it lights but when I let go it goes out There is no fan etc Any ideas?

You should try to reset the power manager. This is normally not a user-service activity, but if you are careful you can do it yourself. Note that the enclosed directions may not reflect your particular Mac model.

Warning!  Be sure you unplug the power cord before you try this!

 1. Disconnect the power cord.

2. Press the PMU reset switch (S1) once on the logic board. Do not press the PMU reset switch a second time because it could stop the PMU chip from responding. (See http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=95035)

3. Wait ten seconds before connecting the power cord and turning the computer on. If the computer does not turn on, there is something else wrong with the computer.

Note: This entire procedure resets the computer's PRAM. Be sure to reset the computer's time, date, and other system parameter settings.