Interesting People mailing list archives

more on ITU cyberspace treaty

From: David Farber <farber () tmail com>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2003 07:24:04 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: Adam Peake <ajp () glocom ac jp>
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] ITU cyberspace treaty
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2003 23:02:56 +0900

Dave,

Seems the story is following up on a speech Utsumi made at a regional meeting of the World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS), November 7-9, in Bucharest. See <http://www.itu.int/wsis/> -- WSIS will be the UN Summit of 2003 (and 2005.) ITU is the lead agency for the Summit within the UN family.

And WSIS is a messy business. Launched with much promise of being a new type of UN Summit, with government, civil society and private sector working as partners, the outcome has been pretty much to marginalize civil society (with China and Pakistan in particular adamant that NGOs should not have a significant role in the Summit.) The original themes of the summit were well meaning an appropriate for a UN summit: to raise awareness of information society, and address the digital divide. Utsumi's speech in Bucharest introduced a new theme: "to develop new legal and policy frameworks, appropriate to cyberspace".

Rumor is that the new theme was added to the Summit agenda at the request of the US and Russia. US, in "homeland security" mode, had until then been quite dismissive of the Summit (as might have been be expected of the Bush administration), and Russia just emerging from the Moscow hostage/gassing tragedy.

I think we should be very concerned that such issues will be discussed at head of state level in such a fora. Not quite sure what the intention is -- ITU as a new policy-maker for cyberspace? Not a happy thought. Particularly as Civil Society has been quite significantly excluded from the WSIS process and has little or no interaction (unless you pay over $10,000 ITU membership) with the ITU. The Summit "PrepCom" process is well advanced, opportunities for comment and discussion are not great.

Partial text of Utsumi's speech in Bucharest below (full document at <http://www.itu.int/wsis/docs/bucharest/speech_utsumi.doc>)

I hope EFF, CDT, etc., will take a look at WSIS and get involved.

Thanks,

Adam

Adam Peake
GLOCOM Tokyo

(Yoshio Utsumi - Bucharest, European regional preparatory meeting of WSIS.)

Given that the information society covers virtually every aspect of our lives, there will be many different views as to what should be achieved by the World Summit. Let me give you my own personal view of why we need a
World Summit. I believe that there are essentially three reasons:

1. To raise awareness among political leaders, at the highest level, of the implications of the information society and the new challenges it will
bring.

2. To tackle the injustice of the digital divide.

3. To develop new legal and policy frameworks, appropriate to cyberspace.

Let me take each of these in turn, beginning with the need to raise
awareness of the challenges of the information society. The industrial
revolution brought many new labour-saving devices into the workplace and home. Those who could afford them, and knew how to use them, gained benefits
in terms of higher productivity and increased leisure time.

In the information revolution, we use ICTs to support and enhance our
ability to see, hear and communicate. We use them to enhance our learning, our knowledge base and our creativity. Again, those who can afford these
tools, and can use them effectively, will reap the benefits. Wise
politicians already know how to use television and the media to win
elections, but many do not yet know how to make the best use of ICTs to run the government, or to extend the reach of educational programmes or medical
services.

Despite the fact that activities based around the creation, processing and dissemination of information already account for more than 80 per cent of employment in the developed world, in the mind of political leaders, issues
concerning ICTs are not yet high on their political agenda.

For developing countries, the dawn of the information society poses the opportunity to leapfrog ahead; to be free of the constraints imposed by the distribution of natural resources or the terms of trade. ICTs can help too in nation building for those countries emerging from a troubled history. But how many political leaders in the developing world are seriously seeking
these opportunities for their people?

The information society will also pose new ethical challenges for our
political leaders which are similar in nature to those posed by genetic engineering in that the information we generate and collect will give us
much more power to control our environment.

We must help our political leaders develop a common vision of how to turn
these challenges into opportunities, by using ICTs.

The second reason to hold a World Summit is to tackle the injustice of the
digital divide.

Between 1995 and 2000, the volume of Internet traffic grew by four times, but available capacity grew by 200 times. And the "dark fibre" available on
the most popular routes, such as across the Atlantic, grew by several
thousand times. Haphazard, overzealous planning has led to overcapacity,
which in turn has led to falling prices and falling profits for
telecommunication operators and manufacturers.

Yet, in other parts of the world, investment just can't seem to keep up with demand. There are still millions of villages that do not even have a basic telephone connection. It is not a question of lack of resources. It is a
lack of a global policy perspective.

In the year 2000 alone, the telecommunications industry invested more than 200 billion US dollars worldwide. But much of this investment has not paid dividends, either financially or socially, because we were super-serving the
rich few, rather than providing basic services to the many.

In recent years, we have seen many initiatives designed to tackle the
digital divide, such as the G8 DOT Force, the UN ICT Task Force, the digital opportunity initiative, and long before that, the Maitland Commission in ITU. We must learn from these initiatives, but we must not make the same mistakes. We must be inclusive of all stakeholders. We must seek innovative ways of mobilizing investment, by seeking a global perspective and securing justice. We must develop programmes of sector reform based on competition,
private sector participation and, most importantly, with truly global
policies and effective regulation. Otherwise the digital divide will widen
further.

The third issue that the Summit should address is the need for a new legal
and policy framework for cyberspace. Cyberspace is a new land, without
frontiers and without a government yet. Cyberspace is not a parallel
universe: it interacts with our own world and poses many new challenges for
policy-makers. For instance:

·       We are increasingly dependent on cyberspace, but how can we protect
against international cyber-terrorism? Who can police cyberspace and how?
·       If we pay taxes in the real world, should we also pay them for our
transactions in cyberspace? And to whom?  How?
·       How can we control crimes conducted in cyberspace?  Which
jurisdiction should take precedence?
·       How can freedom of expression or other fundamental human rights be
guaranteed in cyberspace? Is there a danger that some would seek to control
content?
·       How can we build user trust and confidence in cyberspace?

There may well exist national policies and laws on these issues, but their effectiveness is limited by the fact that they only apply within national
borders. Yet many of our economic transactions and our intellectual
activities are already conducted in cyberspace, without clear rules and
regulations.

We need a new global governance framework. Developing policy frameworks for
cyberspace-to deal with issues of cyber-crime, security, taxation,
intellectual property protection, or privacy-is something like establishing a new government in the New World. I recall the early history of colonial
states in the USA or the story of El Dorado in Spanish America. But
cyberspace is an invisible world and much more complex. Its inhabitants are
not only individuals but include corporations, governments and even
sovereign states. They require new mechanisms for coordination. We need a much more stronger political will to solve the issues than our ancestors did
in establishing a state in their newly conquered territories.

END