Interesting People mailing list archives

more on ITU cyberspace treaty

From: David Farber <farber () tmail com>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2003 08:21:51 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Guerra <rguerra () privaterra org>
To: dave () farber net, Ip ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
CC: David Farber <farber () tmail com>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on ITU cyberspace treaty
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2003 11:19:47 -0500

Dave:

Being CPSR's delegate to the World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS) I must agree with Adam's comments.

I have issues with Yoshio Utsumi's statement that a "basic plan for the treaty" was presented at the European Meeting held recently in Bucharest. I was there - Though there was mention of it in his speech - no content of any kind was articulated nor discussed at any of the sessions.

This news really upsets me. If the ITU, nor the conference organizers haven't the decency to involve civil society from the start in initiatives like this one - then , it's clear they don't want to listen.

Since the accreditation for the upcoming PrepCom2 in Geneva closes tomorrow it is very difficult for new groups, new organizations to get involved. So if you are interested in being involved - my advice would be to get in touch with a group that has already been accredited.

CPSR is one such group, but there are others too. Here's a few links of interest for those wishing to follow-up.

(1) Report to CPSR on PrepCom-1 of the World Summit on the Information Society, July 1 - 5, 2002, Geneva.
http://www.cpsr.org/wsis/docs/Report-PrepCom1.html/

(2) Civil Society Mailing list for WSIS
http://lists.cpsr.org/wsis-prep1/

regards