Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on glad to see telecom CEOs reading the history books

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 17:46:22 -0500

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 14:24:58 -0800
From: Stan Hanks <stan () tta com>
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Re: IP: glad to see telecom CEOs reading the history books

>The regulators are believed to be looking into deals under which Global
>Crossing and Qwest bought capacity on each others' fibre optic networks.
>A former Global Crossing accounting executive has claimed that the
>transactions were artificial, and were designed to inflate revenues.
>
>US accounting rules do not allow companies to book capacity sales as
venue if they involve straight swaps of capacity between two companies.

Interesting. I've seen deals that were clearly straight swaps booked
as "sales" by both parties. In addition to looking like revenue when there
isn't any, it also generates another side benefit -- HUGE commission checks
for the sales executives involved...

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/