Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on It's Alive CEO comments on Have Cell Phone, Will Shoot

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 17:48:48 -0500

From: Franke James <franke () jamesgang com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>, <ip-sub-1 () majordomo pobox com>
Cc: Sven Hålling <sven.halling () itsalive com>

Dave,

Thought you would enjoy this clarification -- Sven Halling, CEO of It's
Alive (Creators of Bot-Fighter), and a fellow game developer, sent this
comment to me re: Antony Hawkins' post.

Think Viral,

Franke James
Co-founder, Nerdheaven Ltd.
www.nerdheaven.com
www.jamesgang.com

Sven's comment:
Seems Mr Hawkins has not really read up on the tech side of this before he
is jumping on it. The accuracy of the location systems used are AT BEST +/-
several hundred meters in a city centre. Would be hard to pinpoint your guy
in a crowded street with that level of accuracy. On the country side
accuracy may be in the order of kilometers. When accuracy is improved by
using GPS receivers in the handsets, the game design will be adopted by
introducing sufficient level of inaccuracy in order to protect personal
integrity. As a serious game provider we would of course never let the
scenario of Mr Hawkins´ actually happen in reality.

Regards

Sven Hålling  | CEO
+46-705-82 53 23 | sven.halling () itsalive com | www.itsalive.com
It's Alive - the provider of pervasive games. Redefining reality.