Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: re: Here comes the propaganda

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 08:44:41 -0500

Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 14:35:31 +1100
From: Nathan Cochrane <ncochrane () theage fairfax com au>

(I appear to have had a mail meltdown when I tried to send this earlier, so just in case it didn't get through)

Hi Dave

My understanding is it has long been the practice for the ruling administration in Washington to sponsor certain messages in films and TV programs. Producers hand copies of screenplays to the White House, which vets them for appropriate messages.

You could characterise it as product placement for politically correct thought. The less kind would call it "propaganda", some might go so far as to say it is "brainwashing".

Here is a Salon.com yarn on the process with the WB's "Smart Guy":

Asked whether it's proper to have government consultants shaping a TV program's scripts, WB programming chief Litvack says, "Sure, absolutely. It's a good idea if he knows more than we do."
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2000/01/13/smart_guy/

More info from the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP) testimony Feb 9 last year:

Citing "the undisputed influence of popular culture on attitude formation," particularly among adolescents, the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP) has initiated an aggressive anti-drug media campaign to educate American youth about the dangers of illicit drugs, says ONDCP Deputy Director Donald Vereen. "Congress requires media outlets to match federal anti-drug advertising dollars on a one-for-one basis. Networks, magazines, and newspapers may elect to make this match with content, public-service activities, or free advertising."
http://www.usembassy.ro/USIS/Washington-File/300/00-02-09/eur313.htm

Federal funding may be forthcoming if, for instance, an anti-drugs message is inserted into the program. It was quite common under Clinton, I believe, but may have started back with the first Bush (Sr.) administration, or even earlier in a less structured way.

According to ONDCP testimony, $178,584,000,000 dollars was spent in 1999 across 102 US local markets and 2250 media outlets reaching 95 percent of 12-17-year-olds, for an average of 8.3 messages per week.

The process is overseen by Ogilvy & Mather, which includes PR agency Hill & Knowlton in its ensemble:

As Brand Stewards, we work to leverage the brands of our multinational clients by combining local know-how with a worldwide network, creating powerful campaigns that address local market needs while still reinforcing the same universal brand identity. The hallmark of our brand-building capabilities is our balance of global and local brands. Our local clients keep us in tune with local market nuances, which is critical for the success of our multinational accounts.
http://www.ogilvy.com/

I read about this quite some time ago, and have heard whispers of it again recently, but I would like to know the extent of the practice now. For instance, rather than merely vetting screenplays, is the US Government initiating projects such as the film, Training Day, reviewed last month in the Washinton Post:

"Training Day" is a taut, high-velocity film that departs from the action flick template by having actual ideas. It uses the lapel-grabbing techniques of the slam-bang genre to look in a nuanced way at the moral dilemmas of undercover narcotics cops, who have to sometimes choose between using proper police procedure and getting the job done.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&node=&contentId=A8799-2001Oct4

I have become quite cynical when I watch American TV, actively looking for these messages, especially if I see a "Just say No" poster or some such in the background. I'm especially alert to the speeches protagonists give.

I guess Hollywood learned the hard way after McCarthy: if you can't beat them, get their advertising bucks.

cheers

David Farber wrote:

http://www.msnbc.com/news/654090.asp

"FILM AND TELEVISION
The purpose of the meeting will be to identify strategies and agree on practical ideas, which may involve films as well as TV messages."

Who is the intended target of the films and tv -- Americans ??????

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/

.

This email and any files transmitted with it may be legally privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must not disclose or use the information contained in it. If you have received this email in error, please notify us by return email and permanently delete the document.