Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: RE: Two items -- please read and reply if you care to

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 08:28:54 -0500

From: requested anonymity
To: dave () farber net

Dave,

It's not a reply to your questions. It regards the difficulties to learn
from others.

I very appreciate your objectivity, and balance, regarding other's opinions
and value it highly. It's a rare value. It's an approach I am always trying
to take in my job and personnal life. It's a necessity when like me you work
in an international environment.

However I feel you missed one major point:

> It is important
> that we understand how others view us -- our friends and
> enemies, so we may understand how to correct their views
> if they are negative.

I think you should add: "or adjust ours when it can be improved". Their is a
lot to gain from others. In foreign/international affairs there is a much
too long tradition to try to "correct other's views" without improving our
own views.

In particular this is why some may find frustrating that their "help" is not
always appreciated. The 1973 editorial from a Canadian you sent in September
("America the good neighbour"), is a good illustration. I think it should be
read in this perspective too. I investigated a lot with older friends to
obtain this "other point of view" and factual elements on what happened in
Europe w.r.t. to US aid initiatives.

Since these times I thing that foreign aid has evolved significantly,
nowadays most developped countries are no longer helping others by doing
major tasks on their behalf but by providing necessary help (funds,
technology, food, etc...) and letting the receiver take a greater part in
organising itself to manage it. It has proven very succesful.

This is where it is difficult to accept that "others" may have different
ways of doing it, and this is where you can learn too. There is always
something to learn from others, and it's not always a good idea to "correct"
them.

Foreign aid programmes are starting to take that way, but slowly. In
particular towards less developped countries. Past history often comes back
and we all have to fight back not to repeat the same things of the past,
just to keep the best bones and learn from mistakes by building improved aid
programmes. It is better not to impose our essential values and views, but
to just expose them, explain them, and let other interpret them, adapt them,
and sometimes adopt them, but in their own ways, taking into account local
history, culture, organisation, economy, etc...

But it requires to set our own pride aside from time to time, when our
essential values or not immediately understood. It's nevertheless worthwhile
because it comes back grown by new success as time goes.

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/