Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Risks of belief in identities: [risks] Risks Digest 21.74

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 08:57:54 -0500

Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 11:54:17 PST
From: "Peter G. Neumann" <neumann () csl sri com>
Subject: Risks of belief in identities

For those of you who might believe that national ID cards might be a good
idea, check out the December 2001 *Commun.ACM* Inside Risks column by me
and Lauren Weinstein, previewed on my Web site
  http://www.csl.sri.com/neumann/insiderisks.html
in anticipation of a U.S. House hearing next Friday on that subject.

It is not just the cards themselves that would entail risks, but even moreso
all of the supporting infrastructures, widespread accessibility to
networking, monitoring, cross-linked databases, data mining, etc., and
particularly the risks of untrustworthy insiders issuing bogus
identification cards -- as happened a few years back on a large scale in the
Virginia state motor vehicle agency (RISKS-11.41).

The latest item on the ease of getting phony or illegal or unchecked
identification papers is found an article by Michelle Malkin (Creators
Syndicate Inc.), which I saw in the *San Francisco Chronicle* on 10 Nov
2001: Abdulla Noman, employed by the U.S. Department of Commerce, issued
bogus visas in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, in one case in 1998 charging
approximately $3,178.  The article also notes a variety of sleazy schemes
for obtaining visas, in some cases without ever appearing in person and
without any background checks, and in other cases for ``investments'' of a
hundred and fifty thousand dollars.  The article concludes with this
sentence: ``Until our embassy officials stop selling American visas blindly
to every foreign investor waving cash, homeland security is a pipe dream.''
I'm not sure that conclusion is representative of the full nature of the
problem of bogus identification, but the problem is clearly significant.
A driver's license or a passport or a visa or a National ID card is not
really proof of identity or genuineness or anything else.

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/