Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Here comes the propaganda

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 08:30:52 -0500

Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 16:53:31 -0800
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Dan Lynch <dan () lynch com>
Subject: Re: IP: Here comes the propaganda

My deceased father was one of the wartime propaganda enforcers for Hollywood in the WW II environment. He was the censor for movies. He told me a number of stories of how only posittive messages could be put on film during the war. No movies got out without the imprimatur of the Hays Office where he worked. Now that was 60 years ago, and the "morals" were much different then. But one rule they enforced that seems to make sense is that "the bad guy must lose on screen". The "bad guy" can be seen to do many wrong things (for others to NOT copy) but he must pay for his sins/crimes before the end of the movie and that fact must be well displayed. I wonder what kind of rules they will come up with now? I don't think there was ever any legislation on this topic, just an understanding between industry and government. Looks like they are doing it again.

Dan

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/