Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: A bit more (last I promise) on my Year end editorial

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 1995 21:43:05 -0500

I think this discussion is valuable enough to continue it for a while.

Dave

From: mort.meyerson () x400mail dcu ps net
Date: 3 Jan 95 19:26:00 -0600

     Dave, you can use this or not with attribution or not!

     From Mort Meyerson at Perot Systems in Dallas

     I hate to enter this discussion since I am neither an engineer or
     scientist. BUT, I did work for 3 years as the Chairman of the SSC
     (super conducting super collider) commission in Texas and I have been
     involved in the high tech business front for 31 years. When the
     funding (SSC) stopped I was appalled. Not for Texas, but for the USA.

     My basic reasoning was the same as Dave put below. I don't want my
     children (now young adults)having the option of hamburger flipping or
     selling the latest detergent from Japan/Europe/anywhere.

     The current vibes sent out by Washington these days seem to say, "if
     it is scientific, then let the private sector do it". Maybe true in
     some areas, but to cut off research and needed skills in mundane
     places like fish and wild life, not to mention high tech research is
     short sighted at best and crazy at worst.

     mort