Interesting People mailing list archives

Envoy/Marco shipping

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 1995 08:50:46 -0500

I have abstracted these from a rather poorly done and
confusing press release. Seems that there are two systems
from Motorola -- one Newton based and one General Magic
based. Both come with a subscription to either a
subscription to either Radiomail or Ardis
Personal/Messaging electronic mail services, (not sure what
the difference is and the PR did not say).

I expect to have my hands on a Envoy soon (I hope) and will
report on it. Having been badly burned with the Newton I
may not take a chance on the Marco -- I will see.

Dave

PR:

The new machine, known as the Marco Wireless Communicator,
will be priced between $900 and $1,400 and weigh 1.8 pounds. It will
permit users to send and receive electronic messages without being
connected to a land-based telephone line.
,,

The Envoy, which comes with a built-in telephone modem, will
cost about $100 more than the Marco.