Interesting People mailing list archives

A bit more (last I promise) on my Year end editorial

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 1995 17:49:49 -0500

I will add a small note as to why I think it is important
to do such projects from the US perspective (you can read
this for any country). It was originally sent as a response
to my Move it or Lose It editorial when the person said:

"Looks like you *do* believe in science projects"

I said:

"Actually I believe in creating good jobs for my children
and their children and creating the financial wealth to
cure some of our society problems. We can do neither if we
cook hamburgers and get flooded by other nations
technology."

In my view the US is heading toward a belief structure that
will allow technological innovation and leadership  to
immigrate off shore and will justify it as in our best
national interest. Maybe... But I doubt the validity of the
argument. What will be left will either be a nation of
shopkeepers and hamburger flippers or a widely separated
two class society with one needing eventually to be
"controlled".

Technological leadership is expensive but the lack of it
may be more expensive to our future and the traditions we
hold dear.

End of year end sermon

Dave