Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Massive SPAM Increase {-2.6} {-2.6}

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 22:46:34 -0400

On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 13:33:12 CDT, Paul Schmehl said:

(Digging out from a long week of other stuff, sorry for the late response)

Its purpose is to reject *all* mail from bogus MTAs - dialups,
misconifigured servers, MTAs that aren't registered in the domains' DNS as
a "legal" MX, MTAs that don't reverse properly, etc., etc.  If the email is

"mta that aren't registered in the DNS as a "legal" MX" - tell me Paul,
how does that work with any site that's big enough that they run split
inbound MX and outbound servers?

(For example, most outbound mail from AS1312 will appear to arrive from
198.82.162.213 - feel free to let me know what DNS info tells it that it's
a "legal" MX, and/or what's missing/wrong...)