Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Massive SPAM Increase {-2.6} {-2.6}

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 13:33:12 -0500

--On Monday, October 09, 2006 15:06:22 +1000 Vini Engel <vini () fugspbr org> wrote:

I am running SA on my server, it work well but I am studying a move onto
dspam. I think it will give me much more granularity than SA, people say
that it is also much more accurate. I am yet to see!

For those running Postfix, I cannot recommend policyd-weight highly enough. It gets rid of about 80% of the spam *and* viruses *and* phishing scams before they ever reach the MTA. It's a fantastic program that has almost a zero false-positive rate. I use it on two internet-facing MTAs, and it's a lifesaver. It reduce my workload tremendously.

<http://www.policyd-weight.org/>

Its purpose is to reject *all* mail from bogus MTAs - dialups, misconifigured servers, MTAs that aren't registered in the domains' DNS as a "legal" MX, MTAs that don't reverse properly, etc., etc. If the email is forged in any way, it will never make it to DATA.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/