Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Odd identd behavior

From: Tomasz Papszun <tomek-incid () lodz tpsa pl>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 19:03:53 +0100

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 at 10:31:22 -0500, Manuel Lanctot wrote:
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers wrote:

Very doubtful. I'm not aware of any law that forbids even portscans,

much less network troubleshooting or the use of tools like nmap in
general.

I can't find the related articles but I remember reading something about
a man who was arrested after portscanning a website because he donated
for a relief fund (after Katrina) and suspected it was a scam. I don't
remember if he was indeed charged but he was at least arrested, which is
pretty scary.

And he (Daniel Cuthbert) did _not_ scanned the website, just tried a
directory traversal (entering "higher" directories) by putting ../../../
in his browser URL field.

http://taint.org/index.php?tag=ids
http://www.samizdata.net/blog/archives/008118.html
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/internet/security/0,39020375,39226548,00.htm