Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Odd identd behavior

From: "Levenglick, Jeff" <JLevenglick () fhlbatl com>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 10:34:32 -0500

You scanning someone else without their permission is not network trouble shooting.

The law is very open. Yes, there is nothing on nmap, but isp's have usage statements that target server and hacking
tools.  (Ie: a home user is not supposed to use their line for a server....ect)
You can pretty much call any isp and complain about a scan and have them warn or suspend an account. Granted, it needs
to be a valid scan, not a quick few second random scan.
Jeffrey Levenglick
Internet Systems Engineer
Federal Home Loan Bank Of Atlanta
404-888-5398