Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Novarg

From: James Riden <j.riden () massey ac nz>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 07:36:43 +1300

sloppy seconds <beleguese () yahoo com> writes:

To all,

Yes as many of you have noticed Novarg is spreading
fast. I work for a large international corporation and
we have seen extensive infiltration. However, this
worm has not proved to be as "damaging" as some may
claim. The scary part is that our investment in AV
solutions (Trend, Symantec, et al...) has not
protected us. We are now reconsidering our stance on
allowing .ZIP files in Email.

As you have found out there's a window between a new virus coming out
and the AV signatures getting updated. (Even that didn't fix it with
Blaster I think, but should cover email-borne viruses).

Internal spread of Novarg is non-existent here, because no-one runs
internal mailservers except us, and we make sure to block viruses and
delay questionable attachments.

Six hours is a long time to be vulnerable if someone really wants to
write a really nasty worm - Blaster could have been a whole lot worse
if properly coded. And if you let .zip files straight through then you
could be in that position before you get the AV updates on the
mailserver.

I prefer to treat the desktop AV as a safety net; that is, it
shouldn't get to that stage.

cheers,
 Jamie
--
James Riden / j.riden () massey ac nz / Systems Security Engineer
This post does not necessarily represent the views of my employer.