Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: CodeRed Observations.

From: Michał Rogala <rogala () pro onet pl>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 23:57:25 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003, Rob Shein wrote:

I'd be careful and make sure, if I were you.  I don't think that the worm is
stateless, as it wouldn't be able to spread if it just sent data over TCP
without establishing the handshake first.  When you just PSH without
handshaking first, your data gets rejected.

some time ago it turned out that IIS accepts HTTP requests without
TCP handshake in order to "improve" speed of transmission....(yuck!) -
I heard that MSIE 'exploits' this and therefore it is faster in some
benchmarks......

--
Micha? `Rogal` Rogala
rogala () pro onet pl GG:#5302321

<Pre>Lose another weekend managing your IDS?
Take back your personal time.
15-day free trial of StillSecure Border Guard.</Pre>
<A href="http://www.securityfocus.com/stillsecure";> http://www.securityfocus.com/stillsecure </A>