Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: China Experience ?

From: Chris Brenton <cbrenton () altenet com>
Date: 24 Jul 2002 03:15:36 -0400

In the interest of saving bandwidth, I've taken the liberty of doing a
combination response to euan, Dapeng Zhu and Ken Blinco.

On Tue, 2002-07-23 at 17:49, euan wrote:
In my experience the majority of network probes I see originate from the USA or
Europe - 99% of the scans originating from .cn or .kr networks are just automated
worm-esque scanners looking for ancient vulns such as wuftp and BIND

These patterns still need to be correlated however. Does the attack
match a known tool or worm? Is this the only attack ever received from
this IP? From this network? If there is a history, is the attack more
timely than the last? Is the exploit related to the actual application
(i.e. WU-FTP exploit against WU-FTP vs. Microsoft FTP)? or are they
shooting in the dark? What is OS of the source IP?

If you are not going to dig into these events, why bother logging them
in the first place. All this takes time and of course analyst time costs
money.

Is it really worth blocking an entire country because of a few
trivial-to-defend-against scans?

I think we are looking at this from two different schools of thought.
You seem to perceive Internet access as "Let anyone connect to you
unless they give you a serious reason to worry about them" while I come
at it from "The risk of Internet connectivity is accepted because of
business need but if that business need does not require you to provide
access from known to be hostile networks, why accept that additional
risk?". This does not make either of us right or wrong, just that our
priorities are different.

How many of these scans/"hacking" attempts actually led to a successful
comprimise?

Again, we come from this from two different schools of thought. This
reads to me like "Don't worry about them unless they actually cause
damage" while I'm of the mind set "Don't give them the chance". If
someone is taking shots at me with a 45, I'm not going to hang out to
see if they are a good shot to have to actually worry about them. ;)