Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Subseven Scans

From: H C <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 13:39:11 -0700 (PDT)

Preston,

I've seen quite a bit of traffic on ports tcp/12345
and tcp/27374.
According to what I've seen, 27374 is a port used by
quite a few versions of SubSeven,

A couple of things...first, port 27374 is the default
port for both SubSeven, as well as the Ramen worm
(Linux).  Therefore, a SYN packet destined for that
port is, in and of itself, inconclusive.

Second, I'm sure you're aware that default ports are
just that, and in many cases, configurable.

as for 12345, it's not mentioned that subseven
runs on that port (that I've seen)

It's NetBus's default port (1.7x and previous
versions).

but I am seeing attempted
connections to these ports at the same time (maybe
some other vuln
attempt I'm not aware of?  anyone?).  Hope that
helps.

Given that these SYN packets are dropped by the f/w
(in most cases), they simply seem to be scans at this
point.   As far as vulnerabilities are concerned, they
may or may not be...but if there's a trojan installed
on a system, the admin has more to worry about than
vulnerabilities.