Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: more info on ramen.tgz

From: Russell Fulton <r.fulton () auckland ac nz>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 16:51:28 +1300

Here we go, replying to my own post :)

On Wed, 17 Jan 2001 11:35:13 -0800 "Jeffrey F. Lawhorn"
<jeffl () wanet net> wrote:

One more thing I've noticed about the synscan in the ramen.tgz, it sends a TCP
packet to 212.184.80.190 port 80 from port 31337 after it finishes scanning
each /16.

I did not observe this behaviour on the machine we had infected.

I've looked a little more closely at the traffic logs and while the
above assertion is true it does not actually mean much.  What our worm
did was start scanning 156.82/16 but stopped after just a few minutes.
It had only scanned up to 156.82.24.xx when it suddenly quit. So it
never got the the point where it would have sent a packet to
212.184.80.190.  My apologies for the confusion.  My initial
impression was that it had scanned several consecuitive /16s.

Neither was any mail sent from the machine (unless it used a local
relay).

this is true, but again, it may have done so if something had not
stopped it dead.

It looks like there are more than one variant of this beast out there.

I withdraw that assertion.

Cheers, Russell.