Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: An ICMP Type 3 Signature

From: Steffen Dettmer <steffen () dett de>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 23:03:21 +0200

* Stephen P. Berry wrote on Wed, Oct 04, 2000 at 13:26 -0700:
      -Neither of the destination addresses (a.b.c.d and i.j.k.l in
       the above example) had sent any traffic to 194.102.148.213 in
       the two hours prior to receiving the ICMP datagrams (two hours
       is as far back as I looked---they've probably -never- sent
       anything to 194.102.148.213).  In fact i.j.k.l was an
       unused address that wasn't sending or receiving -anything-
 [...]

Well, I experimented with ICMP messages when playing with a fast
traceroute method. I made a tool that sends out a lot of UDP
packets, and thus receiving a lot of ICMP time exeededs at "one"
time, and from the included orginal UDP packets the tool builds
the route path (like traceroute, but more faster;
http://sws.dett.de/Simpletraceroute if anyone is interested in
the sources). I found by that, that I receive sometimes a lot of
malformed ICMP messages. They do include some data, but not the
data from the UDP packet that was sent by simpletraceroute. I
thought, that there may be broken TCP/IP implementations out
there, so this may not a bullet-proof thing. So the addresses may
be some "random" data; but really it surprised me a lot, that at
least some of those included (old UDP) packets contained the
right cksum!

If anyone could explain that "strange behaivior" I would be very
glad about an email (if offtopic for this list, please use PM).

oki,

Steffen