Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Interesting reply

From: "Forrester, Mike" <mforrester () HSACORP NET>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 12:49:21 -0600

But think of all the script kiddies with their new
h4x0R boxen
(a default install of RedHat waiting to be exploited
by some
other kiddie) wetting their pants over their new
broadband
connection and scanning 0.0.0.0/0 for every exploit
under the
sun.

I do...but that doesn't constitute compromised boxes.
These scans can be effectively ignored...unless, as I
stated, they become a bandwidth/performance issue.

From my experience (I work for a broadband ISP), most of our problems with
people scanning is from a compromised system.  No, I don't have exact
numbers, but MOST is about right. ;)

But you always have to remember despite all of the
measures
you take, someone may still slip through.

The idea is to make it a non-trivial exercise for
someone to compromise your systems and data.  As far
as "slip" goes...that would indicate either an
entirely new exploit that isn't even publicly
available, or failure to close a previously identified
hole.

This is works only if you have control over the systems in question.  Would
you trust your ISP to maintain your system?

To reiterate what the original point I was trying to
make,
I feel that reporting scans to the source can be a
worthwhile endevour.

I agree that reporting potentially compromised
systems, based on data, is worthwhile.  Reporting each
kiddie that scans you to his ISP can be futile,
particularly is the ISP's net use/abuse policy doesn't
cover that activity.

Sending a quick email is easier than looking up the ISP's AUP.  If they
ignore it, well that's their concern.  If it's a big problem (an actual
breach of security) and they ignore you.  Their upstream provider will
_usually_ listen.

If you have the time to send a email with some log file data, go right
ahead.  It can't hurt.  We don't cancel everyone who does a port scan (even
though they are against our AUP), but we do track complaints against our
users.  If one of our users does a lot of port scanning of a bunch of
different systems and we get complaints, they'll be looking for another ISP.

Basically, what I'm saying is email a complaint if you want to, but don't
expect any response.  Some ISP's care and some don't.  We do.  You may be
wasting your time with some ISP's, but that's your call to make...

Mike Forrester - Systems Security Engineer
High Speed Access Corp. - Denver, CO USA
mforrester () hsacorp net - +1 303 256 2000