Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: An ICMP Type 3 Signature

From: Donald McLachlan <don () MAINFRAME DGRC CRC CA>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 08:20:02 -0400

From spb () meshuggeneh net Mon Oct  9 15:53 EDT 2000
To: Donald McLachlan <don () mainframe dgrc crc ca>

In message <200010051350.JAA09245 () obelix dgrc crc ca>, Donald McLachlan writes:

As you say the ICMP message includes the IP header of the packet which could
not be delivered.
3) Look at the IP header of the included packet.  If the TTL is close to
  (within 1 or 2 of) one of the default initial TTLs (255, 128, 64, 32)
  you can be pretty sure that the host spoofing your addresses is behind
  that border router.

There's a simpler and better indicator:  check to see if the source
of the ICMP packet is between the destination of the ICMP packet and
the `unreachable' host.  If this isn't the case, it's a pretty good
bet that the actual origin of the original traffic is behind the ICMP source.

Spoof at host A (but we don't know the host's true address).
Sends packets via router B.
To unreachable address C.
Spoofing Address D (which is where the ICMP unreachable address gets sent.

        A - B - (Big Internet Cloud) - C

If I understand you correctly you are saying to check if D is between
B and C.  That makes no sense to me so I must be misunderstanding you.
Can you please elaborate how your method can determine that the spoofer is
behind router B (at A)?  (which is what my method does)