Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Smurf attack?

From: Ryan Russell <ryan () SECURITYFOCUS COM>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2000 18:24:11 -0700

On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Glenn Gillis wrote:

1) Should I consider this a smurf attack, and if so what is the appropriate reaction
on my part? I assume the source address is likely spoofed?

Someone is attempting to see if you're a suitable relay, yes.

So notifying the upstream provider (exodus.net) would seem to be a
waste of time. Should I just notify my ISP?

I wouldn't bother notifying anyone.

2) Speaking of my ISP, shouldn't they be blocking IP-directed broadcasts?

The broadcast address depends on the subnet mask.  Breaking subnets on the
octet boundry is dead common, but not the only option.

3) The traffic at the bottom of the log snippet to UDP ports 35095, 27434, etc. to our
broadcast address don't make any sense to me. Any suggestions?

With UDP, you can also mass-scan for listening services.

Any enlightenment would be appreciated,

The ping from 216.200.210.88 is me.  You seem to be properly blocking
broadcast expansion.  You're clearn, I wouldn't worry about it any
further.  There's lots of other relay sites they can use.

                                                Ryan