Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: 8 hours of pinging

From: Rainer_Freis () SANTIX DE (Rainer Freis)
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 09:03:46 +0100

Hello,

Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 09:20:45 -0600
From: Jim Lindstrom <jlindstr () UIUC EDU>
To: INCIDENTS () SECURITYFOCUS COM
Subject: 8 hours of pinging

I have a machine on the @Home network whose logs I monitor in
real-time.  Last night from 12:40am to about 8:35am (central standard us
time), the machine was continously pinged, at a rate of 5 to 10 times
per minute, from machines all over the world.  I don't think this was
intended as a DDoS, due to the low rate of firings, but what else could
this have been?

I've read part of the thread on this and I have an idea what it
could possibly be.  It is possible someone is sending seemingly
normal ICMP packets to you, however they could contain covert
data.  Data could be encoded into the ICMP data, various IP
fields, IP options, etc..

We had a similar incident two weeks ago. I sent a mail to the admin of the other
machine
and he told me that it was a DDoS on their machine. Somebody faked the source IP
address and they got the responses of about 3,500 machines.

regards
     Rainer Freis

--
Rainer Freis   -    Leiter Systemadministration

santix AG Max-Planck-Str. 7   D-85716 Unterschleissheim
Phone: (+49) 89 321506-24          Fax  : (+49) 89 321506-99

You don't know what real time-critical software is until you're responsible for
the paychecks
of a battalion of heavily armed Marines.      (somebody in
alt.sysadmin.recovery)