Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: 8 hours of pinging

From: scott () WUNSCH ORG (Scott Wunsch)
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 08:25:31 -0600

On Tue, 21-Mar-2000 at 08:56:08 -0400, Rick Ballard wrote:

I had the same thing happen to me on March 6, but only about
once per minute, also for about 8 hours. Most of the source IPs

Hmm, I saw something similar last week.  I guess I'm not going nuts after
all:-).  All the pings I got came from a netblock registered to Exodus
down in the States.  I fired off an e-mail to their contact address, but
got no response.

The pings started in the evening of the 12th, and continued steadily until
they gradually stopped in the evening of the 14th.  There were about half a
dozen unique source addresses, all in the 216.33.* subnet.  They were all
directed to only one of my machines.

Is this actually something significant, or has somebody just been messing
with our minds? <g>

--
Take care,
Scott \\'unsch